School Year 2020-21 Enrollment Guidance and Frequently Asked Questions
To help mitigate the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our region, DCPS school buildings are currently closed and distance learning at home is underway for current students. Please find an official update to enrollment processes and deadlines below. These guidelines will be in place until school buildings reopen on Monday, April 27.
DCPS is committed to opening enrollment as soon as possible to best serve our families and welcome new students to our community! We are proud to serve more than 51,000 students and look forward to launching School Year 2020-2021 (SY20-21) with your family.
We are working hard on launching an electronic submission process for SY20-21 enrollment and our goal is for this option to be available to families as soon as possible – no later than Monday, April 27. Please review these SY20-21 Enrollment FAQs and contact the DCPS Enrollment Team with additional questions.
The following is current as of Thursday, March 26, 2020.
Summary of changes to SY20-21 enrollment process and deadlines:
- Lottery results will be released publicly on Friday, March 27.
- In-person enrollment will begin when school buildings reopen on Monday, April 27.
- Families will have until Wednesday, May 27 (one month after DCPS school buildings are rescheduled to reopen) to enroll and claim their seat.
- DCPS is working on an option for SY20-21 enrollment to be submitted electronically and in accordance with OSSE regulations. The goal is for this option to be available to families and schools no later than Monday, April 27.
- DCPS will post the SY20-21 Enrollment Packet online and share it with schools when school buildings reopen on Monday, April 27. If an electronic enrollment submission option is available prior to that time, DCPS will post the SY20-21 Enrollment Packet online as soon as it is available.
Download the FAQs in Other Languages
Complete SY19-20 Enrollment for Your Child in Three Steps
- Complete the Enrollment Packet: Download the full enrollment packet
- Provide proof of DC residency: Review residency verification guidelines
- Submit the completed packet and proof of DC residency to [email protected].
Have specific enrollment questions about any of the following circumstances?
- Military families
- Non-traditional/transfer students
- International students
- Any other unique circumstance